Jacobs: ‘Connected Car’ Revolution Demands Action
What can the average radio owner or manager do about the oncoming “connected car” revolution? Fred Jacobs, head of radio consulting firm Jacobs Media, offers a list that includes a call to “rethink HD Radio.”
• Develop a mobile strategy.
• Get close to your local car dealers.
• Keep your content fresh and local. “To a person,” he writes, folks in the auto business look at AM/FM as local radio, “the programming that broadcasters create that no other audio entertainment outlet can.”
• Rethink HD Radio. Jacobs argues that employees of the big auto brands “often talk about HD Radio integration as essential to providing a seamless experience for consumers — amidst the offering of Sirius/XM, Pandora and iPods. I know this may sound counter-intuitive to many of you who hate on HD Radio, but if you listen to these automotive designers and engineers, you will hear a different story.”
• Take a test drive. “If you don’t own a vehicle with one of these systems, you need to get behind the wheel and experience it for yourself.”
Read his thoughts on the above in more detail here.
The Challenge of the Car Dash
Receive regular news and technology updates. Sign up for our free newsletter here.