The Broadcasting Board of Governors has announced the winners of the 2014 David Burke Distinguished Journalism Awards “for exceptional integrity, bravery and originality in reporting.”
The winners represent each of the BBG networks and have tackled topics ranging from ethnic conflict in the Central African Republic to violence in Ukraine.
“These brave men and women represent the best of U.S. international media,” said BBG Chairman Jeff Shell. “Their dedication to excellence, unrelenting determination and resolute courage exemplify the finest of what we do.”
The board will present the awards, which are named after former BBG Chairman David Burke, at a ceremony later this year.
The 2014 winners are:
Voice of America
● Idriss Fall, French-to-Africa Service
● Anne Look, VOA Central News, Dakar bureau chief
● Bagassi Koura, French-to-Africa Service
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
●Ukrainian Service, Kyiv Bureau
Office of Cuba Broadcasting
● Rolando Rodriguez Lobaina, independent journalist, Cuba
Radio Free Asia
● Moe Thu Aung, Myanmar Service
Middle East Broadcasting Networks
● Maitham Al-Shibani, Alhurra-Iraq
● Omar Adnan Al-Obaidi, Alhurra-Iraq
The individual stories behind each award can be found here.