The National Association of Broadcaster Education Foundation says 23 broadcast professionals have completed its Executive Development Seminar, held July 19–23 at NAB headquarters in Washington.
Over the course of the seminar, participants learned how to implement strategy for successful business development, including the areas of finance, negotiations and decision-making. Managerial effectiveness was explored, including leadership theory, formulating human capital strategy and how to motivate employees. Participants also had the opportunity to meet with staff in the NAB Government Relations, Legal and Technology divisions.
The EDS is intended to equip attendees to meet the challenges of the rapidly evolving broadcast industry. Fellowships for the seminar were made possible by support from The Nielsen Company and Radio One. The seminar is intended to increase managerial effectiveness and is taught by business leaders and professors from top-ranked universities.
The 2015 EDS graduates from the radio sector include:
- TJ Baggett, director of business development, WGNZ(AM), First Natchez Radio Group, Natchez, Miss.
- Kathy Byerly, SVP/general sales manager, WSOY(AM)/FM, WDZQ(FM), WDZ(AM), WCZQ(FM), Neuhoff Media, Decatur, Ill.
- Erin Dozier, SVP and deputy general counsel, NAB, Washington
- Susi Elkins, station manager, WKAR(AM/FM), Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich.
- Andrew Harby, local sales manager, WFMB(AM/FM), Neuhoff Media, Springfield, Ill.
- Tariq Islam, director of advanced technology, NAB, Washington
- Jama Killingsworth, general manager, WDBD, Raycom/American Spirit, Jackson, Miss.
- Shelly Leslie, creative director, WRAL, Capitol Broadcasting Co., Raleigh, N.C.
- Peggy Milner, controller/ HR director, KMOV, Meredith Corp., St. Louis, Mo.
- Mike Neale, director of sales, WITI, Tribune Media, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Tristan Richards, director of operations, Maine Public Broadcasting Network, Bangor, Maine
- Lena Rodriguez, sales operations manager, KONO(FM), KISS(FM), KSMG(FM), KTKX(FM), KYX(FM), KCYY(FM), Cox Media Group, San Antonio, Texas
- Paul Scott, general sales manager, WSMV, Meredith Corp., Nashville, Tenn.
- Carlin Tools, local sales manager, KBFB(FM), KSOC(FM), Radio One, Dallas, Texas
- Shaun Yun, president/CEO, WDPR(FM), WDPG(FM), Dayton Public Radio, Dayton, Ohio
“The NABEF Executive Development Seminar addressed a lot of topics, anything from HR to finance, that I know will benefit me in my career,” said 2015 participant Paul Scott. “I have learned things that I will take back to my station not just in the long-term, but immediately, and have an impact on business.”
Registration for the 2016 EDS will open in September and can be accessed online.