Calling it an attack of “unprecedented scale and intensity,” Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty said Web sites of its Belarus Service and more than half a dozen other RFE/RL language broadcasting sites were under attack earlier this week.
It said the “denial of service” attack began Saturday April 26. “It slows Web traffic to a standstill by bombarding the system with bogus requests it has to consider and then deny. The brunt of the attack is aimed at RFE/RL’s Belarus Service and is intensifying,” the organization stated two days later.
RFE/RL President Jeffrey Gedmin compared the attack to Cold War jamming of over-the-air signals. An update of the situation was not available at this writing.