Members of the Radio Television Digital News Association have voted for a new chair as well as several members of its board of directors.
Additionally, CBS Radio Vice President Harvey Nagler was honored with the RTDNA’s 2014 John F. Hogan Distinguished Service Award, which recognizes an individual’s contributions to the journalism profession and freedom of the press. Nagler has served in his current position since January 1998 and oversees CBS News’ worldwide radio operations. He has also served as director of news programming for WCBS(AM).
The new chair-elect is Kathy Walker, news director for Denver’s KOA(AM). She will also serve as executive producer of the association’s next national convention, Excellence in Journalism 2015 in Orlando, Fla. In her second year, she will become the organization’s chair, transitioning to chairman of the Radio Television Digital News Foundation in year three.
Amy Tardiff, station manager and news director of Ft. Myers, Fla,’s WGCU(FM), is now the RTDNA Chair for 2014–2015. She is the fourth woman to lead the association and the first female public radio news director to hold the position.
Director of News and Programming for Wilmington, Del.’s WDEL(AM), Chris Carl, will now serve as the RTDNF chairman.
The reelected board members are:
● Treasurer of the Association — Loren Tobia, vice president of sales, AccuWeather, State College, Pa. He is a past chairman
● Director at-Large of the Association — Vincent Duffy, news director for Michigan Radio. He fills the seat vacated by Dan Shelley
● Director at-Large — Harvey Nagler, vice president of CBS News Radio in New York
● Director-at-Large — Jerry Walsh, director of local content development for the east region of Nexstar Broadcasting Group in Irving, Texas
● Region 4 Director — Scott Libin, senior fellow at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minn. His position serves Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin
● Region 6 Director — Carlton Houston, news director for KFOR(TV) Oklahoma City. His position covers Oklahoma and Texas
● Region 9 Director — Randy Bell, news director for WMSI(FM)/WQJQ(FM)/WJDX(AM) in Jackson, Miss. His position serves Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi
● Region 10 Director — Andrew Vrees, news director for WCVB(TV) in Boston. His position covers Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont
● Region 13 Director — Terrence Shepherd, news director, WLRN(FM) in Miami. His position serves Florida and Georgia, along with Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands
Newly elected board members are:
● Treasurer of the Radio Television Digital News Foundation — Dan Shelley, senior vice president of Interactive One Local and Interactive One Studios at Radio One. He replaces Ed Esposito and is a former RTDNA chairman
● Region 3 Director — Sheryl Worsley, news director for KSL(AM) in Salt Lake City. Her position covers Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming
● Region 5 Director — Scott Brady, news director for KYTV(TV) in Springfield, Mo. His position serves Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska