(click thumbnail)Logo for WRAL-HD2 in Raleigh, N.C.More radio stations, it seems, are starting to tell the story of their HD Radio capabilities. AM stations, like Beasley Broadcast Group’s WAEC and WWWE in Atlanta, are touting the cleaner signal of digital. Some FM stations are promoting added program streams.
Chris Edmonds, manager at WAEC/WWWE, hopes to attract listeners with a better sound quality. “At this point, people still need to be informed about HD Radio. We anticipate that in the near future, HD Radio will become a significant factor in programming as well as listenership,” Edmonds said.
Glenn Gleixner, manager of WVTF(FM) in Roanoke, Va., uses his main signal to promote the availability of the public station’s additional talk stream, Radio IQ.
“Radio IQ was started with a donated AM station. HD will give us the ability to offer full coverage of our area,” Gleixner said.
Here is a sampling of what listeners are hearing on the air about HD Radio capabilities; copy is provided by the stations:
* “WVTF is now broadcasting in the all-new digital format, called HD Radio, in Charlottesville. Soon, we’ll offer HD Radio in other communities as well. A special HD Radio receiver is required to hear our new digital signals. And the big advantage is you can now hear our all news and talk service, Radio IQ, wherever you hear WVTF, on either 88.5 or 89.3 FM. For more information about HD Radio visit our Web site at WVTF-dot-org.” – WVTF(FM), Virginia Tech University, Roanoke, Va.
* “WCSX is harnessing the power of HD Radio, providing you the highest fidelity ever available and even more choices. ‘Deep Trax,’ our HD-2 programming, is inspired by ‘CSX Classic Rock A to Z. ‘Deep Trax’ features the lesser-heard gems from deep within the classic albums. ‘CSX ‘Deep Trax’ delivers enormous variety with virtually no repetition and even fewer interruptions than you thought possible. It’s a great Classic Rock listening experience. ‘CSX ‘Deep Trax.’ And, of course, it’s free.” – WCSX(FM), Greater Media, Detroit
* “We’re glad you’re here at More Magic HD, a place where you can relax and unwind. We feature ‘Office Magic’ every workday until 7 p.m. ‘More Magic’ is a soft adult contemporary format, consisting of a mix of ’70’s and ’80s icons, plus standards from artists like Harry Connick Jr. and Diana Krall. We’ll also add a touch of Broadway such as hits from Phantom of the Opera and jazz favorites from George Benson and Kenny G. Every single night, More Magic is a classical companion when you’re looking for an escape from the ordinary radio dial. Familiar works and great performances are presented without interruption. Whether it’s Mozart, Vivaldi, Bach or Gershwin, you’ll find that you’ll recognize these melodies.” – WMGC(FM), Greater Media, Detroit
* “The left brain appreciates the leading-edge digital technology. Your right brain just thinks it sounds cool. This is WRAL-HD2” – WRAL(FM), Capitol Broadcasting, Raleigh, N.C.
* “Beasley Broadcasting has launched a brand-new HD-2 radio station in South Florida called Gretchen 99.9…modeling a ‘new attitude’ of country inspired by Gretchen Wilson and other musical rebels. From Toby Keith, Hank Williams, Jr., Lynyrd Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels, Montgomery-Gentry, Travis Tritt, Waylon Jennings, Tanya Tucker, The Allman Brothers, Gretchen Wilson and others … Gretchen 99.9 mixes today’s cutting edge, rebellious country with music from the ‘outlaws,’ southern-rockers, along with 30 years of genre-stretching risk-takers to merge a country heart with a rock-n-roll soul.” – WKIS(FM), Beasley Broadcast Group, Miami
Is your station promoting HD Radio on the air? How about multicasting? Send us your promotional copy or artwork and we’ll share it with readers. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org.