Tech Tips, Dec 2009
Almost everyone carries a handheld device today. Some started with Palm Pilots and moved up to Pocket PCs before owning an Iphone or Blackberry. I asked Gary Kline for a suggestion of his favorite Iphone app for radio engineering purposes, and he told me about Islipstick (www.carry-onsoftware.com). The app is available through the Itunes store, and it was written by Sam Virgillo, CBRE CEA. Islipsitck is a collection of commonly used electronic formula calculators and value converters.
- Ohm's Law
- Reactance - Find the reactance of a capacitor or inductor at a specified frequency.
- Resonant Frequency - Find the resonant frequency of a capacitor inductor pair.
- Voltage Divider - Find the unloaded output voltage of two resistors in series.
- Parallel Resistance - Find the total resistance of up to six resistors in parallel.
- Impedance and Phase - Find the resultant impedance and vector angle of a series or parallel RLC circuit.
- Op-Amp Gain - Find the gain of both inverted and non-inverted op-amp stages by entering two resistor values.
- Resistor Color Code
- SMT Resistor Marking
- dBm Converter - for 50, 75 or 600 ohm loads.
- Voltage Converter - between RMS, average, peak and peak-to-peak
- Temperature Converter - Fahrenheit, Celsius, Rankine and Kelvin
- Period to Frequency Converter