Historic Morse Station to Broadcast From Original Site

Historic Morse Station to Broadcast From Original Site
Author:
Publish date:

The Maritime Radio Historical Society , working with the Marconi Conference Center, will return Morse code radio station KPH to the air from its original Marin County, Calif., location on Feb. 26.
KPH, once known as the "wireless giant of the Pacific," arrived in Marin County in the early 1920s. It provided telegram service to ships via Morse code, with its receiving station at Marshall, Calif., and transmitters at Bolinas, Calif.
Operation at Marshall continued until the beginning of World War II, when KPH was shut down. After the war the receiving station was moved to the Pt. Reyes peninsula. Today the facilities are part of the Point Reyes National Seashore.
On Feb. 26, KPH will return to the air from Marshall for the first time since 1942. Vintage equipment will be used. The transmitters at Bolinas will be operated remotely from Marshall, as was done originally, organizers say. Messages will be exchanged with historic ships including the SS Red Oak Victory, a WWII Victory ship using its original radio equipment.
Additionally, radiograms will be accepted from the public for transmission in Morse code.

Related