Just when you think that the progress of in-vehicle infotainment technology might slow just to catch a breath, the leap is announced.
A recent missive from SiriusXM describes how that company’s content will be being delivered on 360L, a new platform which will combine satellite radio with 4G LTE connectivity, enabling two-way communication with customers and more targeted music for listeners. 360L had its debut at the recent CES, and will make its first appearance in the FCA US LLC (formerly known as Chrysler or Fiat Chrysler) 2019 Ram 1500 truck.
Among the benefits which SiriusXM claims for the new 360L service are more variety:
● Over 200 channels available to listeners on their in-dash Uconnect 4C NAV with 12-inch display, including many channels previously available only online;
● Access to thousands of hours of recorded on-demand shows, interviews and events in the car, giving listener more options;
● Enhanced sports play-by-play offerings that make it easier for listeners to find their favorite teams when it is game time, and provide them access to the official broadcasts for more pro and college teams. The linkup with 4G LTE, SiriusXM claims, will also lead to a more personalized experience:
● Smart content recommendations will enable listeners to discover more of what they are interested in, based on their listening habits;
● A user interface allows for easy navigation between channels, shows, and both live and recorded content;
● Individual listener profiles will enable multiple drivers and passengers to customize and maintain their own presets and favorites;
● 360L profiles can be synced with listener’s mobile phone to easily access their favorites and pick up listening where they left off in the car on select content. At the heart of it all, SiriusXM notes, is making the in-car experience easier for the listener.
● Drivers and passengers can use their voice to search SiriusXM’s extensive library of content, or they can let “For You” recommendations serve up content choices;
● Subscribers can manage their account, renew their subscription and contact SiriusXM through the touchscreen on the dash when their vehicle is parked;
● SiriusXM with 360L can receive over the air updates so users can conveniently get new features at any time.
What does all this mean? It’s SiriusXM’s latest push to enable it to compete with the growing consumer demand for personalized listening experiences. Customer satisfaction, reduced churn and improved retention all fall into place once consumers can find the content they are after.
Ram 1500 owners will receive a one-year subscription to SiriusXM All Access with the purchase of equipped 2019 model vehicles.