As if the run for the playoffs in the last full month of the baseball season isn’t exciting enough, it’s again time for nominations for the annual Ford C. Frick Award.
Presented by the Baseball Hall of Fame, the Frick Award is for excellence in baseball broadcasting.
Ten nominations are up for grabs; radio and TV broadcasters are eligible. Three nominations will be determined by fans via the hall’s Facebook page. The remaining seven will come from a secret cabal referred to as a “Hall of Fame staff research team.”
Fan voting, one vote per day, will take place during the month of September. The winner will be determined by a 20-member committee of living Frick Award recipients and select baseball historians and senior media members. The award will be announced on Dec. 6 (baseball’s winter meetings) and presented during Hall of Fame Weekend at Cooperstown, N.Y., July 20–23, 2012.
Last year’s winner was Dave Van Horne, a radio broadcaster for the Florida Marlins. Previous winners include Joe Garagiola, Tony Kubek, Vin Scully, Jon Miller and Bob Uecker.
This year’s prospective nominees are:
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Greg Schulte, Daron Sutton
- Atlanta Braves: Skip Caray, Pete Van Wieren
- Baltimore Orioles: Joe Angel, Jim Hunter
- Boston Red Sox: Joe Castiglione, Jerry Remy
- Chicago Cubs: Pat Hughes, Ron Santo
- Chicago White Sox: Ed Farmer, Ken Harrelson
- Cincinnati Reds: Waite Hoyt, Joe Nuxhall
- Cleveland Indians: Mike Hegan, Herb Score
- Colorado Rockies: Jack Corrigan, Wayne Hagin
- Detroit Tigers: George Kell, Jim Price
- Florida Marlins: Tommy Hutton, Rick Waltz
- Houston Astros: Bill Brown, Larry Dierker
- Kansas City Royals: Ryan Lefebrve, Paul Splittorff
- Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: Dick Enberg, Jose Mota
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Rick Monday, Ross Porter
- Milwaukee Brewers: Merle Harmon, Bill Schroeder
- Minnesota Twins: Dick Bremer, John Gordon
- New York Mets: Gary Cohen, Ralph Kiner
- New York Yankees: Michael Kay, John Sterling
- Oakland Athletics: Ray Fosse, Bill King
- Philadelphia Phillies: Richie Ashburn, Chris Wheeler
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Steve Blass, Lanny Frattare
- San Diego Padres: Ted Leitner, Eduardo Ortega
- San Francisco Giants: Mike Krukow, Duane Kuiper
- Seattle Mariners: Ron Fairly, Rick Rizzs
- St. Louis Cardinals: Al Hrabosky, Mike Shannon
- Tampa Bay Rays: Todd Kalas, Dewayne Staats
- Texas Rangers: Mark Holtz, Eric Nadel
- Toronto Blue Jays: Tom Cheek, Jerry Howarth
- Washington Nationals: Bob Carpenter, Charlie Slowes
- At-large candidates: Thom Brennaman, Joe Buck, Ken Coleman, Jacques Doucet, Ernie Johnson Sr., Ned Martin, Buck Martinez, Tim McCarver, Al Michaels, Joe Morgan, Amaury Pi-Gonzalez, Phil Rizzuto, John Rooney, Steve Stone, Gary Thorne
As they say, vote early, vote often.