A 51-year-old man, James Buster McKay, died recently after being electrocuted; he was suspected of trying to steal about $50 worth of copper, according to the Dallas Morning News.
The Dallas County medical examiner’s office confirmed the death. County firefighters had rescued McKay from a utility pole last weekend. His skin “melded with the pole” after being hit with 7,000 volts, according to the account; McKay suffered third-degree burns on about 50 percent of his body.
Dallas police said when fire-rescue crews arrived, they found cut wires and about $50 worth of copper on the ground; McKay was stuck between transformers on the pole. The man may have grabbed a wire when power was being restored, Dallas police said.
Police said the incident caused more than $10,000 in damage.