Interep put out the results of its Spring 2004 radio audience format share analysis. Among the findings:
– Record news/talk listening pushed the category of News/Talk/Sports, which already was the “most listened to,” to a wider margin. Shares were up even compared to a year ago, a period that included the war in Iraq.
– The Spanish category saw a slight drop from winter but remains near its all-time high. Mexican, within that category, continued to grow.
– The “Pop” segment helped CHR listening grow, followed by Urban. “UC/R&B rebounded, while the Urban AC segment has continued to grow for the past year.”
– Country and New Rock returned up to levels of last summer. Classic Rock and AOR were stable, as was Oldies.
– Hot AC was off somewhat; the overall AC category continued to slip. Smooth Jazz saw erosion from last year.